Thursday, June 9, 2011

Holders for whatever my little heart desires...

So, I was over at A Diamond in the Stuff (who is celebrating 1,000 followers today) and I saw these cute Wooden Pedestals she created. Instantly, I thought, this I could make, and I set out to find similar items at the local thrift stores.

I ended up finding these glass candle sticks and bowls. I had no luck with wood, but these will work just as well. While I was there I also found some hideous bronze candle sticks that had a great shape to them. I didn't take a before picture of them, but come on, you all know what I'm talking about.


First I started out by washing everything I purchased, and then I busted out the Gorilla Glue. If you've never used it, it's amazing! Seriously.
 First I moistened the plate and the rim of the candle stick, then I applied a thin ring of the glue around the candlestick. You have to be careful, because the glue expands, so don't apply to much. Then you place them together, and let set. I put a heavy book on top of mine to prevent them from sliding around while the glue set.
After letting the glue dry, I then primed the whole she-bang, and painted. Since I made two of these, I painted one a great aqua blue and the other a champagne gold. I also painted the two bronze candlesticks with the champagne gold as well. Finally I ended up with these and personally, I think they're great.

The blue one matches the towels in the bathroom, so I've placed there to be a catchall for my jewelry. .These are the pieces I tend to wear the most, so it's nice to have them nicely placed, versus them haphazardly thrown across the counter. The champagne gold one with the matching candlesticks are the new table decoration in the dining room. I haven't quite figured out what to put in them, but when I do, I'm sure it will look great.

No comments:

Post a Comment