Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Yums (2) - WORLDS BEST SUGAR COOKIES

For as long as I can remember, my mother's best friend, Debbie, has been making the WORLDS BEST SUGAR COOKIES! Sadly for me, I have to wait until the occasional Thanksgiving or Christmas to eat the WORLDS BEST SUGAR COOKIES! I even asked for them as a birthday gift once. When Debbie knows I'm coming, she always makes some extra just for me. I hoard these cookies like Scrooge McDuck (did you like that childhood reference), portioning them out, and nibbling them, until sadly they are all gone. 

Lately, I've been hounding my mother to get the recipe for me. It's really the icing that makes these cookies as fantastic as they are. Finally she came through for me.

I used the following recipe for the sugar cookies. (Notice, they aren't the WORLDS BEST just yet). 

2/3 cup of butter softened
3/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla 
2 cups of flour
1. In a large bowl, beat butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 30 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough at a time until 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 2-1/2-inch cookie cutter, cut dough into desired shapes. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack; cool. If desired, frost with Royal icing and decorate with decorative candies. Makes about 36 cookies.
For some reason, I couldn't get my cookies to be as thick as Debbie's but they tasted the same, which was a victory in my book.

As you can see, I followed all the directions via the recipe. 



 


And finally it was time to ice the cookies. The icing is what makes them the WORLDS BEST SUGAR COOKIES! I used the following recipe:

1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Food coloring

  1. Stir the powdered sugar and the milk until smooth
  2. Beat in corn syrup and vanilla until icing is smooth and glassy (if it is too thick, add more corn syrup)
  3. Color as wanted or needed, spread on cookies. 
I honestly think the corn syrup has something to do with making the icing so fantastic. But that's all there is to it folks. Now that you can make your own, I don't have to share with you anymore. 
As always, thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment