Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hot Plate? Cold Drink? Don't worry...I've got just the place to put them.

So recently...I got addicted to Pinterest. I blame Valerie. But through Pinterest I came across these little beauties and the easiest how-to ever. And I mean EV-AH! With my Mother's birthday on the way, I thought....how handy would these be, and she always needs trivets too, so I set out to make a few.
When I bought my house, I inherited boxes full of leftover tiles from the re-do's of the bathroom and basement floor. Since they've just been gathering dust in my garage, this was the perfect project. A trip to Hobby Lobby supplied the cute paper and the Mod Podge.
Once I had all the supplies assembled...I got busy. First I flipped over my paper and traced the tiles.

After doing this I then cut out all my pieces of decorative paper.
Then I spread a thin layer of Mod Podge directly onto the tiles surface. I didn't do anything to prepare the surface except wipe it down and dry it with a paper towel.
I then quickly placed a piece of the paper on top of the Mod Podge and smoothed it out to get rid of all the air bubbles and wrinkles.
Then I spread another layer of Mod Podge on top of the paper. I made a point to seal down the edges very well, as you don't want those peeling away from the tile in the future.
Then I let it all dry. I then gave each piece a second coat of Mod Podge to be on the safe side. After they had dried again, I sprayed them all with a clear glossy coat.
Finally, I placed felt pads on the back of each tile and called it good. This whole process took me about 30 minutes (not including the drying time). It was so easy and you get such a great look. I think I need to make some for my house now. Love them.

1 comment: