Thursday, September 8, 2011

Island Vacation

View from our front yard looking down onto the beach.

Do you ever just need a vacation? Believe me, I did, and I got one over the long Labor Day weekend. I loaded up the dogs and embarked on a 12 hour drive (yes 12 hours) for Madeline Island, Wisconsin. If you've never been there GO!!! I'm not joking around. I've been lucky enough to be going there as long as I can remember. In 1932 my great-grandmother bought 20 acres on Big Bay, built an authentic log cabin, and it has become the home away from home for generations since. 

I've picniked in Paris, walked the streets of Rome, explored the Greek Isles, and still this is my favorite place on Earth. Let me share some photos with you. 
The ferry boat you take over from the Mainland.

At the far end of our beach looking toward the house.

Hemingway loves the beach and swimming all day!

So does Eisenhower.

The lagoon where we go fishing. Dad's bringing in the boat.
I caught a little guy. (Northern Pike)

Sea Planes parked on the beach in town.

The dogs are forever happy when they get to go on boat rides!

My extended family usually gathers at all the cabins in the late summer, so our time there is even more precious. With some family members, that may be the only time I see them all year.

Now I know your all jealous, but the good news is, we rent out our cabin during the summer, so you too can visit. Or stay at the Inn in town, or many other rental locations. But our house is the best, just saying....

Also just another tid-bit, La Pointe, Madeline Island, was named #5 on the 10 Coolest Small Towns in America 2011 list. This is like the 5th year in a row, also we've got one of the top 10 beach bars up there too. Again, just saying....you should go.


No comments:

Post a Comment