Monday, October 24, 2011

Delicious Goodness: Oreo Crumb Chocolate Cupcakes

Today my father is starting the last year of his 50's. I was teasing him yesterday, that he's not ancient yet, but he's pretty damn close. He was not pleased with me. To make up for it, I made him birthday cupcakes. Normally my Mother makes him a traditional German Chocolate Cake for his birthday every year. This year, I got put in charge of his cake, and there is no way I was making that crap. Thinking about it makes me want to vomit*. Nasty chocolate, soggy coconut.....EWWWW!!! (*Disclaimer, this is in no way a reflection on my Mother's baking/cooking skills, the best chef in the world could make a traditional German Chocolate Cake and I would still feel the same about it.)

Instead, I decided to go with a tried and true recipe, the Oreo Crumb Chocolate Cupcake with Oreo Cream Cheese Icing. I've made these a few times and they have always been a big hit.
Now, I wish I could take all the credit for this treat of delicious goodness. But I can't. The problem is, I don't know who to give credit too. I printed this recipe off the internet years ago, and have no idea who it belongs to. If you know, let me know, so I can point people to the original source. But in the mean time, I will supply you with the recipe so you too can make your own delicious goodness.
Oreo Crumb Cupcakes & Oreo Cream Cheese Icing

Cake Ingredients:
  • 24 Oreos
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3 eggs
  • Devil's Food Cake Mix
Icing Ingredients:
  • 8 ounces cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • Oreo cream from cookies
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2  1/2 - 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup Oreo crumbs, sifted

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners
  2. Take your 24 Oreos. Scrape off the cream centers, set these aside for later. Put the cookies in a food processor, or place them in a plastic bag and crunch by hand.
  3. Sift the crushed Oreos. You will need about 1 cup sifted cookies for the icing, so set that aside. Be sure to sift the cookies or you will get big chunks in your icing bag, that makes it difficult to get around. Trust me, I know. 
  4. Place approximately 1 teaspoon of  the larger cookie crumbs into the bottom of each cupcake liner. 
  5. In a large bowl, use a whisk to combine water, buttermilk, oil, sour cream, and vanilla extract. 
  6. One at a time, add the eggs. Be sure to stir well in between each addition.
  7. Slowly add the Devil's Food cake mix while stirring. 
  8. Fill cupcake liners (with the cookie crumbs on the bottom) 3/4 full and bake for 13-18 minutes (depending on your oven, of course). The tops should spring back when you touch them. 
  9. For the icing: Cream together your cream cheese, butter, and the Oreo cream centers. 
  10. Add vanilla and heavy cream. 
  11. Add in the powdered sugar until you reach the desired icing texture.
  12. Stir in sifted Oreo crumbs and pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
Be sure to store in a air-tight container to keep in moisture. Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. It's confusing for me when you make cakes that have no soda in them... haha.
    These look serious YUM. :)

    ReplyDelete