Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hey you want a s'more? Some more what?

That's right, I went there. I pulled out a quote from Sandlot. If you haven't seen that movie...shame on you. I used to love that movie when I was a kid. Okay, I admit it, I still love it.

I'm going to tell you bloggy people something I haven't told you before. I coach High School Tennis, no joke. Tennis has always been a big part of my life. I've been playing tennis since I was 7. I played in High School, College, and now I coach. I love Coaching and sharing my knowledge. Last weekend was the 4A High School Regional  Tournament. This tournament is a BIG DEAL. It determines whether or not they go to State.
Can you guess which one I am? I totally look like a High Schooler. :-)

My girls all played fantastically, but only two qualified for the State Tourney. It was nerve wracking. Ever point I watched had my stomach in my throat and by the end of the weekend, I had my first official case of HeartBurn. I literally had to go out and buy some Tums on Saturday afternoon.

If you can imagine, I have 6 High School Girls, who will eat you out of house and home, but only out of the stuff that is terrible for you. If it was boys, I would expect them to eat that much, but these girls will put it away. No lie. But do they prepare ahead and bring enough food to last them two full days at a tournament, of course NOT. They're High Schoolers. So this is where Castle's Magical Bag of Treats comes in. One of the treats that I made for the girls was S'mores Bars.
They're made the same way as Rice Crispy Treats, but with different cereal. Let me give you the break down.

Ingredients Needed:
  • Golden Grahams Cereal
  • Bag of Marshmallows
  • 4 Tablespoons of Butter 
  • Milk Chocolate Chips
Directions to Delicious S'mores goodness:
  1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat
  2. When the butter is melted add in bag of marshmallows, stir constantly
  3. Once the mallows have melted and there is no lumps, remove from heat and quickly add in the cereal
  4. Mix as quickly as possible and press into a buttered pan
  5. Melt chocolate chips in microwave, drizzle over treats
  6. Let the cereal and chocolate set completely before cutting and serving

I made 3 pans of these and didn't have a single one left after the weekend. They were a big hit and gave the girls plenty of energy to play their hearts out. I'm excited for the State this weekend. I'm sure my two Seniors will do a great job!

P.S. Here's a funny tidbit for you, related to tennis. I look very young for my age, I recognize this, but nothing rubs it in more than when I take my tennis girls to a meet, and inevitably someone will look right at me and say "Where's your Coach?" and then I have to say "No really, it's me, I promise." True story.

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness- the title had my curious- but my mom used to make these- they were my brother's fav! i'll have to whip some up!! :)

    ReplyDelete